Frequent Questions

Question 1: What is the Blue Card?

The Blue Card is an up to four-year temporary work and residence permit in Germany. Prerequisites for the Blue Card are:

  • a university degree and
  • a job in Germany with a minimum annual salary of €52,000 or
  • a degree in certain professions in which specialists are in short supply in Germany (so-called shortage occupations), such as scientists, mathematicians, engineers, doctors and IT professionals with a minimum annual salary of €40,560.

You can submit your application for an EU Blue Card to the appropriate immigration office (Ausländerbehörde). If you have a foreign university degree and wish to work in a so-called shortage occupation, the Federal Employment Agency has to first consent to your employment (after assessment of whether the work conditions correspond to the customary local conditions). An EU Blue Card enables you to obtain a settlement permit under simplified requirements after 33 or 21 months, depending on your German language skills. Family members of EU Blue Card holders are allowed to work in Germany without restrictions. (Source: the website of the Saxonian Federal State Ministry of the Interior)

Question 2: Can my Family join me to Germany?

Yes: If you hold a residence permit in Germany your spouse may apply for residence in Germany.

Question 3: Can my spouse and family member work in Germany?

Yes: After your spouse and Family get a residence in Germany they are allowed to work in Germany

Question 4: Is the German language a must to get a blue card or a job?

No: however, speaking German or learning German in your home country will increase your chance to get a job in Germany and make your life more comfortable in Germany

Question 5: what is the jobseeker’s visa?

Since 1 August 2012, foreign graduates with a German or other recognised university degree or a foreign degree comparable to a German degree will be eligible to enter Germany to seek employment. Holders of a jobseeker’s visa may stay in Germany for up to six months to seek employment whilst in the country. To obtain a jobseeker’s visa, applicants must simply furnish proof of their university degree and that they can support themselves for the duration of their planned stay. While seeking employment, jobseekers are not permitted to work, whether on a self-employed basis or otherwise in Germany